As early as 1854, when Baptists were not yet recognized as a church in many parts of Germany, the Prussian king met with some of their leading figures in Sanssouci and placed them on an equal footing with the other churches of the Evangelical Alliance.
While there were already a significant number of Baptist churches in Berlin in the 19th century, the Potsdam Baptist congregation only formed as an independent entity in 1910. Their first church building was destroyed in the bombing raid of April 14, 1945. Following a land exchange, the Free Evangelical Christians were able to build their second church between 1957 and 1960 on the ruins of the chapel of the Great Military Orphanage, which had also been destroyed in the war. In 1993, an extension was added to accommodate the growing needs of the congregation.









