Luisenplatz Potsdam

Historical monuments and sites
Luisenplatz was created around 1733, along with the city wall, as part of the second city expansion, initially as a timber collection point. In 1854, the square was redesigned by landscape architect and General Director of the Royal Prussian Gardens, Peter Joseph Lenné, and a fountain was added. In 1939, the square was paved and all but a few columnar oaks were removed to create a parking lot.

During the GDR era, the square was used for many years for folk festivals and Christmas markets. It was renamed "Brandenburger Platz" in 1945 and "Platz der Nationen" in 1951. In 1991, it was renamed Luisenplatz again.

In preparation for the Federal Garden Show held in Potsdam in 2001, the square was redesigned once again. Underground, an underground parking garage was built to replace the parking areas established in the 1930s. Above ground, the area was replanted with rows of linden trees. Since then, the center of the square has once again been adorned with a fountain basin, as was already present in Lenné's garden design from 1855 onwards. The current design is thus a reinterpretation of Lenné's original plans from 1854.

Luisenplatz is home to various restaurants and cafes. Smaller city festivals, the wine festival, and part of the Potsdam Christmas market are held there annually.

Nearby